Can I apply hydrocortisone for light colored spots on the head of penis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
I was left with light colored spots on the head of my penis after the friction burns healed up from having sex. Can hydrocortisone bring the even color back on the head of the penis.
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Do not to apply anything Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I can understand your concern for the light colored spot in the head of penis. After reading your query with diligence it appears that presently you have the problem of “post-inflammatory hypo-pigmentation” which we commonly call as “PIH”. This is a common phenomenon occurring due to the simple phenomenon of wear and tear to the specific color-giving cells of the skin known as melanocytes. These cells are factory for color in our skin. In normal circumstances these secrete or produce the melanin pigment (the pigment because of which we have our own body color) according to it's own normal capacity on daily basis. That is why we see the color of our skin. But in certain situations, where there is some injury or inflammation is present then that area heals with this phenomenon of PIH. Here in these situations these melanocytes produced less pigment after the injury and are temporary stagnated in its activity. In some cases the reverse of it is also possible meaning secreting higher color and producing a dark spot. All of this depends on the type of skin. Now in your case, you gave a history of frictional injury to the penis which is the predisposing factor for the light patch. This condition is a simple phenomenon as I stated before and you should not be worried about it. In my series of patients I suggest to not to apply anything in this simple condition. Any of the steroid or antibiotic cream actually will hamper with normal skin functions at this penile area and may contribute to some other problem. So there is no need to apply hydrocortisone or any other cream. I hope you must be relaxed now. If you have any other query i will be glad to help. Regards. Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)

Follow-up: Can I apply hydrocortisone for light colored spots on the head of penis? 42 hours later
So how do I get the even color back.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Normal color is regained in few months Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome again to the forum and thanks for asking further query. As I said previously, it is a normal sequel of the area to get whitish color. In most of the cases the color is regained in few months of the period by its own. The skin over this penile area is a thin mucosal skin. It is very much sensitive skin. There is no any such medication which can be applied over this area to get normal dark color. The medications can have its own side effects of further burn to the skin. That is why we dermatologist do not prefer to suggest any application over this sensitive mucosal area. Even then in some of the patients who are quite anxious to get a normal color- We suggest them to give sun exposure for 5 minutes to the hypopigmented area. This enhances the activity of melanocytes and thus produces faster regain of normal color. I hope this relieves all your stress. If you have any other query i will be glad to help. Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)

Follow-up: Can I apply hydrocortisone for light colored spots on the head of penis? 16 hours later
Is there a tanning machine available because I don't like tanning outdoors.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 15 hours later
Brief Answer: hand held UVA tanning lamps Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your followup. There are certain hand held tanning lamps available. These are known as UVA lamps. These emits ultraviolet A light and are quite safe to use. You can use them for the regain of color. Even then we consider natural sunlight to be best and safest for the same. Per day only just 5 minutes of direct sunlight is sufficient to regain the color in few months period. So you can use any of these according to your feasibility. I hope you must have got all answers. If you have any other query I will be glad to help or if you do not then can close the query and rate the answer. Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)