Can Hunt syndrome be a consequence of Herpes Zoster in the ear?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Do you have experience with XXXXXXX Hunt syndrome as a consequence of Herpes Zoster in the left ear? I am 5 days into Valtrex and Prednisone treatment after seeing the Doc early on Day 2 of symptoms, and my left facial nerve is still not working. My face is frozen on the left side and I smell smoke all the time on and off wherever I am. Sinus damage? I am 60 year old male, with one historical case of adult shingles 20 years ago, and chicken pox as a child. Will the facial paralysis subside in time or do I need additional treatments? Should I continue the Valtrex and prednisone after 2 weeks? I have a follow up with my ENT M.D on Feb 4th. Anything I should be asking him? Thank you very much. As you can imagine, I am a little concerned about the long-term recovery. XXXX
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Following suggestions for XXXXXXX Hunt syndrome... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I have read your medical history carefully and feel sorry for experiencing XXXXXXX Hunt Syndrome. This is a rare condition during which the virus Herpes Zoster is affecting the ear nerve. Hopefully, you have started treatment on the 2nd day of the symptoms. The earlier the treatment starts, the less the chances to get complications. It is normal to have muscle weakness and feeling your face frozen on left side as due to nerve damage. As long as the X-ray of sinus did not reveal anything, no sinus related. If you had a history of shingle and chicken pox, then, this explains why you are having XXXXXXX Hunt syndrome as the virus is the same. The facial paralysis hopefully will subside in time because you started treatment early. You should keep following up with your ENT specialist. The use of Prednisone is short term only, however, if symptoms will persist, then, your specialist might prescribe it for more. Keeping good hygiene and using pain-killers are also advised. Wish fast recovery! Dr.Bardha