Can Herpes get transmitted by just touching vagina?

Excellent

Question
Is it possible to contract Herpes 2 by touching the outside of the Labia Minor with your fingers when there are no signs of sores or lesions? I had sex with a new partner using a condom recently. There was no kissing or exchange of saliva although it is possible our pubic areas may have touched during sex. I understand that Herpes 2 can be transmitted from healthy looking skin to skin from recent reading. That has me worried. Thanks in advance for your help
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: condom should minimize the transmission Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, welcome to XXXXXXX I can see why you are concerned. Herpes generally spreads from ulcers by contact. However, a healthy looking skin is not always healthy. we might miss small erosions and oozes especially in the region of labia in females, as it is a moist region. Viral shedding also happens when there is no actual genital lesion in female and hence can transmit the disease to partner during sex. This is more possible especially when the female has recently recovered from illness due to Herpes. Overall, i cannot say that you are totally safe; but the fact that you wore a condom should minimize the transmission. Remember, there is no reason to believe that your new partner has Herpes. Hope i am clear. All the best.

Follow-up: Can Herpes get transmitted by just touching vagina? 8 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX thanks much. I have no specific reason for being concerned - just a bit of paranoia perhaps. And I really want to be absolutely certain I have nothing that could be spread to another partner. Can Herpes 2 be spread by saliva? Also - I am told it is not possible to test for Herpes 2 for at least 6 weeks after exposure - would you say that is accurate? Thanks again for your help.

Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: if oral sex is performed, it can be transmitted. Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, if oral sex is performed, it can be transmitted through saliva. Blood antibodies will not show up till about 2 months. but if there is an ulcer, scrapings can be subjected to TZANK smear which can help in diagnosing as early as 3 days. but the test is not often done now a days as it is less reliable. Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Can Herpes get transmitted by just touching vagina? 36 minutes later
Yes that is helpful. I should have said Oral Sex with a Condom. In that case I would think there would always be the chance of saliva coming off the condom and on to the skin where the condom ends. But based on what you've said I'm guessing the virus could still be transmitted that way. Just to be clear, you feel the Herpes Test cannot be performed accurately for at least 2 months - then 6 weeks would be too soon to be reliable - correct? I got the 6 week number from a local STD testing facility. Thanks again for your help.

Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: I meant "with a condom" only. Detailed Answer: hi, I meant "with a condom" only. yes, after 2 months there can not be errors. if you are satisfied with the answer, please rate 5 star. Thankyou.

Follow-up: Can Herpes get transmitted by just touching vagina? 5 minutes later
Dr. I have given you a top rating and a score of 5 stars. Still a little confused about the "with condom only" comment. Would the danger be from the Herpes Virus penetrating the condom surface or from saliva dripping off the condom and on to the skin? Sorry to be so slow! :)

Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Herpes can cross boundaries-point to remember Detailed Answer: yes, it is a possibility if you are the luckiest person standing last in the list. lol.. Herpes can cross boundaries-point to remember; All the best, thank you.

Follow-up: Can Herpes get transmitted by just touching vagina? 3 minutes later
Dr. do you mean if you are the luckiest or the unluckiest? Would you say that after 2 months there cannot be errors with any of the other STDs I might be tested for - or is there a different period for each STD? Simple question - if I wait 2 months before comprehensive testing and all of the tests are negative at that point am I completely in the clear? I guess this is really my most important question. Thanks again for your advice.

Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes, you are totally clear of herpes Detailed Answer: hi, i was referring to herpes 2 , time required is 2 months, after which it can show positivety. other diseases may vary answer: yes, you are totally clear of herpes. (time to celebrate) hope i have been of some help to you. thank you for the stars.

Thank you again for your answers. Final question - how long do I have to wait before I know I am clear of any STD, not just Herpes 2? Especially HIV. I really want to make sure I don't post a danger to anyone else.

Brief Answer: HIV, you have to wait for a period of 6 weeks Detailed Answer: For HIV, you have to wait for a period of 6 weeks (window period) where you dont have antibodies in your serum yet. WITH YOUR APPROACH, I CAN BET, YOU DONT IMPART DANGER TO ANYONE. keep the character. All the best.

Follow-up: Can Herpes get transmitted by just touching vagina? 4 minutes later
Thank you for the kind words. I believe it would be unethical to knowingly expose someone else to an STD and I would not want to live with that on my conscience. The reason I focused my questions on Herpes 2 and HIV is because it is my understanding that they cannot be cured. Am I correct in believing that there are cures for all other STDs besides these two? Best. P

Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: herpes virus 2 can be totally cured. Detailed Answer: yes sir, herpes virus 2 can be totally cured. there are excellent drugs. for HIV: there are good drugs under way; the present situation is people are living a normal life with a virus inside, being on those drugs. Very shortly we see hiv as a treatable disease. Hope this day comes soon. If you are intrested in my discussion, please rate 5 stars. Thank you.

Dr. I' m confused. I know there are treatments for HIV and Herpes 2 but I was under the impression that once a virus from either of those two STD enters the body they are there forever and can never be eliminated completely. Maybe I misunderstood and you were speaking of treatments not complete cures. Please let me know. P

Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: herpes can be kept in dormant state by a number of Detailed Answer: hi, herpes can be kept in dormant state by a number of drugs. acyclovir,valacyclovir, gancyclovir etc are all fantastic drugs for herpes. they reduce the viral load and whatever virus left, they go to the dorsal root gangleons and remain there for a long time (30-60 years) for HIV, there are 380 drugs available today which can shatter the structure of the virus; the success lies in limiting the spread of virion to normal cells. i have known a patient diagnosed with hiv in 1987; he is still taking drugs, he is 57 years and is still working happily. hopefully, we see a total eradication.

Follow-up: Can Herpes get transmitted by just touching vagina? 2 minutes later
I understand. Thanks again. Do you need me to rate you again even though I did that just a few hours ago. Please let me know. Best.

Brief Answer: f you can rate it twice, you can do it as u did it Detailed Answer: if you can rate it twice, you can do it as u did it on top- up. right? who wants to miss a double jackpot?