Can HIV infection spread through oral sex due to low immunity?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi doc i had sex with a woman i know back in april i used a condom but i very stupidly licked her clit for a few seconds.I did not put my tongue inside her just licked her outer clit area for a few seconds.I know oral sex carries a low risk for HIV but in XXXXXXX i was bit by two ticks and became very sick with Rocky mountain spotted fever/ Borellia/BABESIA/Mycroplasma/ all tick related i had an HIV test at 3months then 6 months and 9 months all negative and also an oraquick home swab test at 10 months all neg.My concern is that what if my immune system was so low from tick illnesses that the HIV has not shown yet that is my fear ive read somewhere that it took one guy 11 months before he showed positive.Should i test again in April at the year mark of my risk event to be sure?
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 3 hours later
Brief Answer: HIV testing Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Welcome to health care magic. I understand your concern that you might have tested negative for HIV because of other viral illness. It is most unlikely for that to occur as antibodies produced against HIV become detectable in a blood sample by a maximum of 100 days after exposure. There is no requirement of another test for HIV status. I hope I have cleared your doubts, Please get back for any other clarifications. Thanks
Follow-up: Can HIV infection spread through oral sex due to low immunity? 2 minutes later
Ok so if i had it it would show for sure because i have been feeling sick since i got bit by those ticks.But lot of people told me it takes a long tine to feel better after getting all these tick Bacterias.I was just scared because its been 7 months and i still have Melaise and sone weakness but all these neg HIV test i should be good its just scary stuff
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tick related illnesses Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Welcome back. Tick borne diseases do present as chronic illnesses with Lymes disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted fever most common. Lymes disease is caused by a bacteria called as Borrelia burgoferi which presents as a three stage illness. The first stage is associated with a annular lesion at the tick bite site. The second stage is associated with fever, dermatitis, malaise and generalized weakness. This occurs after two weeks after 1st stage. The third stage is the chronic stage which is associated with weakness, joint pains and dermatitis. It can be diagnosed by serological tests for IgG antibodies against Borrelia. Treated by antibiotics like doxycycline and penicillins. Rocky mountain spot fever is a chronic illness caused by Rickettsiae which is associated with fever, rashes and abdominal pain. It can be treated with doxycycline. I suggest you get yourself tested for the relevant diseases and get appropriate treatment as soon as possible. Please get back if I can assist you further. Thanks.
Follow-up: Can HIV infection spread through oral sex due to low immunity? 4 minutes later
I have been to a llmd lyme specialist and am on heavy meds i was just scared thinking it was making my immune system weak and maybe not letting my body produce HIV antibodies but if you say all my neg test out to 9 months i should be ok with that?
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Immune suppression by antibiotics Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX I understand your concern that antibiotics prescribed could have suppressed your immune system and you may not be producing antibodies against HIV. Antibiotics do suppress the immune response to some extent but not so much as to stop the production of antibodies. I suggest you quit worrying about HIV and get appropriate therapy for your present illness. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Thanks.