Can HIV be transmitted via unsterilized salon razors that come in contact with blood?

Question

I want to clarify if HIV is transmitted throug the salon razors. While having a shave yesterday in a salon I had a cut. He had changed the blade before shaving but the razor i dont think they had sterlized as they just wash the razors before using it. Please help me in clarifying this.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later
Hello.

Yes HIV can be transmitted through salon razors though chances are less and it is always a good idea to carry your own.

To confirm that you have not caught the infection, you will have to wait atleast two weeks and then get yourself tested. You will have to then retest every 3 months for atleast 6 months to confirm that you are totally safe.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Can HIV be transmitted via unsterilized salon razors that come in contact with blood? 16 hours later

Even thosugh the blade was changed then alos there are chanses of getting infected?

Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 29 minutes later
hi,

Thanks for writing back.

If the blade was changed, chances of getting the infection from the razor are low.

But to be on the safe side, do get one test done two weeks later, as you had cut while doing shave.

It is safer to carry your own razor and blade in future.

I hope, this helps. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Regards.