Can HIV be transmitted through unprotected oral sex?
User rating for this question
Hello doctor i had unprotected oral sex with a csw on 6th january, since then i seem to have ars symptoms after four days i had a mouth ulcer and after 2 weeks i had a sore throat and musle pain of my shoulder and i had a rash on my face. please check the rash picture i have uploaded. do you think i might have hiv?.
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: HIV risk through oral sex is low. No HIV symptoms Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. The picture sent by you had not been uploaded. It was not present along with your question. Oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV. Vaginal sex carries a risk of HIV 5 out of 10000 exposures whereas oral sex is very lower than this. Moreover all the exposures not necessarily be infectious. Nearly 30-40% spouses of HIV positive individuals remain HIV negative in spite of their regular sex for years together and called as Sero discordant couple. Your sex partner not necessarily be a HIV positive one. Moreover earliest HIV manifestations can occur 4 weeks after the infection, not earlier than this, that too, only with 50% of the individuals. So your symptoms are not at all related to HIV.Sore throat can occur to anybody without HIV. So you need not worry. Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Can HIV be transmitted through unprotected oral sex? 18 minutes later
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: All CSW not HIV positive. Rash not related to HIV Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. I had seen the picture of rashes, sent by you. It could be even due to allergy to shaving lotion or creams or acquired from a hair cutting saloon and not related to HIV. Rashes due to HIV will not occur within two weeks. Only 30-40% of CSW are HIV positive after the HIV awareness in India. So all of them are not necessarily HIV positive. Oral sex is having a very low risk. So your risk for HIV is negligible. Presently with ART, one can live without any problem for not less than 30 years. At anytime a total cure can come to erase the infection. But these details are not necessary for you, as you have a very low risk. Dr S.Murugan
People also viewed
- I am suffering from pre exposure prophylaxis, can i take truvada?
- Pityriasis rosea dry skin solutions
- I am suffering from nonoccupational exposure, can i take truvada?
- Can hiv be transmitted through unprotected oral sex
- Had unprotected oral sex could i have got hiv
- Had unprotected oral sex will it affect my child
- Contaminated well water symptoms
- Premature ejaculation due to habitual masturbation
- Duchenne muscular dystrophy and low thyroid levels
- Postinor vaginal dryness
- Contractions on and off
- Can unprotected oral sex lead to hiv
- Had unprotected oral sex is there a risk of pregnancy
- Failure of iui due to semen liquefaction time
- I am suffering from hiv seroconversion syndrome, can i take truvada?