Can HIV be transmitted from the vagina to a small abrasion on the knee?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Can HIV be transmitted from the vagina to a very small abrasion on the knee that did not bleed. Direct contact was not made but was very close.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: HIV transmission from vagina to knee unheard Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. Vagina to knee transmission is not heard. Even if there is any direct contact (?Possible) it is a remote possibility. HIV cannot survive outside the body for even few minutes. Contact of vaginal fluid over fingers and then to knee then also the chances of HIV transmission is negligible. HIV can not be transmitted through air born infection however it may be closer, as it can not survive in atmospheric air and dryness. There are many such occasions of contact can occur among the care providers of family members of a HIV positive individuals and Positive children and also for care providers in a hospital set up like Doctors, nurses, lab people and cleaning staffs. But HIV transmission among them is a very remote possibility. So nothing to worry. Dr S XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Can HIV be transmitted from the vagina to a small abrasion on the knee? 46 minutes later
Thank you for answering my question doctor. It was during a "lap dance". I am not sure if the woman is HIV positive or not, however people in her occupation have a higher rate of this virus. I do know that her vagina did touch another area of my knee, however I don't think that it was on the part with the abrasion. If I were to get tested, to be safe because I do plan on having sex in the near future, what test has the earliest detection rate? As I do not want to put my partner at risk. Thank you for your help, and sorry if I am being neurotic.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Antigen test recommended. Infection not possible Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. I appreciate your concern for your would be sex partner. As you said the dancer not necessarily HIV positive woman. I hope that these girl would have their inner wears during dancing. Even if it is not so, she would not have a dribbling discharge while dancing. If so, then she would not have opted to dance on that day. Just a casual contact of knee near the external genitals of a lady is not infectious even in presence of an injury on your knee. You just forget that incident. If you have lot of tension in mind regarding this, then it is ideal for you to go for a HIV test. P24 Antigen test, DNA PCR test or any combo/duo (both antigen and antibody) tests are recommended for you to know your HIV negative status earlier by 2- 4 weeks. Dr S.Murugan