Can HIV be transmitted by mutual genital masturbation or sucking breast nipple? Go for blood test? Risk factors?

Question
Dear Dr,
I have quary about HIV transmission.
1) Can HIV be transmitted by HANDJOBS(Masterbation) done by female to a male? or How much is the risk for HIV Transmission?
2) Can HIV be transmitted by sucking the Breast Nipple of a female by a male? How much is the chance?

If a person had exposure with any sexworker and had the above two activity only on 31st January-2012.And no other activity. What is the risk of infection? When should he go for blood test? Where should he go in kolkata for the test? What test should he undergo?
Expecting your answer soon.

Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Risk of transmission of HIV virus through a handjob is very less. It can only be transmitted only if the penis had open sores and the female also had some bleeding open sores on her hand. If the skin was intact then chances of transmission of HIV are less likely.

Chances of transmission of HIV by sucking the breasts of a female are there if the female was lactation and there was milky discharge from the breasts. The other case would be if there was some skin disease causing cuts on the breasts or the nipples. In both these cases, HIV can get transmitted, otherwise not.

There is no exact percentage of such cases which have got infected from vaginal fluids when having an open sore on penis, but CDC (centre for disease control and prevention) has clearly stated that specific fluids (blood, semen, vaginal secretions, and breast milk) from an HIV-infected person can transmit HIV.

These specific fluids must come in contact with a mucous membrane or damaged tissue or be directly injected into the blood-stream (from a needle or syringe) for transmission to possibly occur. If there was no such contact during the episode of 31st January, chances of HIV transmission are less likely.

HIV testing is done with a blood test and is done in full confidentiality. The blood is first tested by ELISA test which is a screening test which looks for antibodies in the blood. Then if it is positive then Western blot test is done to look for specific proteins of HIV. You can get ELISA test for HIV done from any government hospital in Kolkata or get it done from a good reputed lab like Relicare or Wockhardt’s.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Can HIV be transmitted by mutual genital masturbation or sucking breast nipple? Go for blood test? Risk factors? 2 hours later
I have seen somewhere on site that breast milk is risky only in case of infant who is fed from mother for 6 consicutive months. But it has no efect to adult as HIV in breast milk is less and immune system of adult is developed(but not in case of infant). Also in stomach there is various acids which makes HIV inactive. Also salaiva makes HIV inactive.Will it effect adult? If it is sucked for say, 5-6 seconds, and not sure whether there was any lactation? Also while pressing the breast if there was no secreation,, is there any chance of lactation while sucking and that too for 5-6 seconds.
What is the appropriate time for testing to be done after 31 january (if it is exposure date in same way as described above)? What is thecost for ELESA TEST.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

According to WHO, the risk of HIV transmission through breastfeeding is cumulative; the longer the HIV-infected mother breastfeeds, the greater the additional risk of transmission through breastfeeding.

If there was breast sucking for 5-6 seconds with no knowledge of whether the female was breast feeding or not; the risk of HIV transmission is almost nil. Moreover the stomach acid destroys the virus.

To rule out any possibility of HIV infection, you can get ELISA TEST DONE 3-12 weeks after infection. It has more than 99% sensitivity and greater than 95% specificity. In India the test is quite cheap and may cost about Rs.300.

Regards.

Follow-up: Can HIV be transmitted by mutual genital masturbation or sucking breast nipple? Go for blood test? Risk factors? 5 hours later
Thank you for your reply.
Follow-up: Can HIV be transmitted by mutual genital masturbation or sucking breast nipple? Go for blood test? Risk factors? 51 minutes later
Dear Dr.
I would like to know the early symptoms of HIV Infections. And usually after how many days of exposure does the symptoms shows.

Also ARE the DRY NOSE & MILD CRACKS AT THE CORNERS OF LIP(Where the upper and lower lips joins) comes under the symptomes of it?

Where are the annoymous test done in kolkata? I seek you reply as early as possible.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Many people do not develop symptoms after they first get infected with HIV. Others have a flu-like illness within several days to weeks after exposure to the virus. Symptoms of HIV in initial stages can resemble any flu like illness. One can develop fever, rash, enlarged lymph nodes, joint pains and other symptoms similar to flu. These symptoms can occur within days or weeks of the initial exposure to the virus and this is called primary or acute HIV infection.

Dry nose and mild cracks at the nasolabial folds may not necessarily be due to HIV infection and can be due to dry skin or perioral dermatitis also.

You can get the confidential test for HIV done at any government hospital in Kolkata or Dr Lal Path labs/ Religare SRL diagnostics or SRL Ranbaxy Ltd.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any additional questions or follow up queries, please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.