Can HIV be transferred by sharing food?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Hello sir, I ate the same food which was eaten by my friend and I don't know the status of hiv of him and I started to fear that do I get any hiv with that. Please clarify.
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: HIV will not be transmitted by sharing food. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. HIV spreads only through the exchange of body fluids other than urine, motion, saliva, sweat. That too only through 4 methods: 1.Sexual activities: hetero, homosexual (Anal,vaginal, oral) 2.Transfusion of infected blood 3.Sharing of needles and sharps 4. Mother to child transmission HIV will not spread through other means. It will not be transmitted through sharing food, drinks from the same vessels, sharing toilets, sharing telephones, through swimming pool and mosquito and insects. So you need not worry about eating the same food eaten by a person of HIV unknown status. Saliva is not infectious. Nearly 40 million people are living with HIV in this world. They are living with their family and family members who are HIV negative, just like in any other family.There would be so many occasions like eating, drinking sharing bed, towel, soaps etc. without transmitting the disease. Dr S.Murugan