Can HIV be predicted through high platelet count?

HIV AIDS Specialist
If i have a placelet count of 168 is there any likelihood i could have hiv. I am waiting on formal hiv test results but already know my placelet level.
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 47 hours later
Brief Answer: Notpossible to predict HIV by plateletcount alone Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. I think that you mean the platelet count. There is nothing like that of placelet. You mentioned 168. It could not be 168. Is it 1.68 lakhs? If it is so it is normal platelet count only. Platelet count may likely to fall due to many many reasons. In HIV it could fall at a later stages only. Say after 10-12 years after the infection. Only with the platelet count it is not able to predict the presence of HIV infection. If you want to have any more doubts to be clarified, feel free to ask. Dr S.Murugan