Can Erb's palsy re-occur?

Is erb's palsy something that can reaccure after they say its healed.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 35 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. I have few questions.

What was the reason for Erb's palsy? What is the duration of it? What was / is the therapy done in the primary episode? Any complications?

Erb's Palsy is paralysis of the arm which is caused due to the injury to the nerves surrounding the shoulder region.The most common cause is injury during child birth due to the stretching of the shoulder nerves.In case of simple injury it may heal by its own in few weeks but may be longer in case of extensive injury.Usually it heals within 6 to 12 weeks but if the nerve is torn then it might not recover completely.

Occasionally due to any infection or immunization pain may come back which heals by itself after sometime and recurrence is very rare.

If you notice any unusual symptom consider visiting your Primary Physician for evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.