Can ECP taken after sex prevent pregnancy ?

Im 37 and had protected sex but the condom came off and my boyfriend finished inside of me. I took Next Choice pill 2 hours after and took the other one 12 hours later as stated. I am mid cycle on day 13. what are the chances that i am pregnant? The condom has spermicide on it too.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 44 minutes later

Thanks for your query

Emergency contraceptive pills(Next Choice) are quite effective in prevention of pregnancy if they are taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse.The sooner they are taken more effective they are.There are rare chances (2 to 3%)when it is not effective in prevention.
Since you had taken within 2 hours chances of conceiving are less as it prevents ovulation that is release of egg,if ovulation had occurred then it prevents fertilization.It usually takes total 24 hours for the egg to be fertilized and then conception to occur.You may or may not experience breakthrough bleeding or spotting after the pill intake.
If your next periods are delayed by more than a week of the expected date kindly see your Healthcare Provider for evaluation of pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available to answer your follow up query.
Follow-up: Can ECP taken after sex prevent pregnancy ? 1 hour later
Since I am 37 years old are the chances of being pregnant less likely? What do you think the chances are that I could be pregnant just a ballpark estimate? If I am pregnant is there something else i could do?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 6 hours later

The chances of getting pregnant do not depend on age, unless one has achieved menopause.

I have already explained your chances in my previous answer. I shall any way repeat it. By using Next choice the emergency contraceptive pill appropriately, you have reduced the chances of getting pregnant to less than 2%. There are no other measures available now except wait and watch. Pregnancy needs to be tested if the periods do not occur normally.

Despite using appropriate pills, if you conceive and do not wish to continue it, you may opt for termination. Pregnancy can be terminated by using abortion pills under guidance of a gynecologist. I shall stress this again, "Your chance of needing to opt for termination is remote".

Wishing you Good Health!