Can DVT cause calf pain?

Need a doctor to explain DVT or clot in calf . If my legs are not zwollen , red or hot yhen no blood clot? I always have calf pain keep going to ER to have sonogram done no clot don't know why I have calf pain for over a year I worry because I don't know if I will have a blood clot and not know the difference? Please explain . Right not not on any horomones but next week I will be taking estrogen to start fertility and I am concerned I will not know the difference with leg pain
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: DVT is not alone the cause of calf pain. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX DVT is not alone the cause of calf pain. if sonogram excludes DVT, it is least likely that you have DVT. General causes of calf pain includes systemic causes. Have you checked your hemoglobin, blood pressure, serum potassium, calcium and magnesium, CPK etc? if everything is normal, you may require a biopsy from calf to find if there is any ..sort of inflammation. You may take estrogen if DVT is excluded. Hope i was of some help.
Follow-up: Can DVT cause calf pain? 15 minutes later
I I was wondering what are some conditions I can look for that's going to distinguish the difference in blood clot .. I also have pain in the ball of my foot sole also .. I guess i just need to know if there is no swelling no redness then there is no blood clot?
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 12 hours later
Brief Answer: there is still the possibility of clot Detailed Answer: hi XXXXXXX Answering your questions 1) venous doppler study of deep veins of leg and plasma D-Dimers will tell whether you have clots in legs or not. 2) Pain in tha ball and sole of foot cannot be because of calf clot. they are due to plantar fascitis or a bone spur. 3) If there is no swelling and no redness, even then there is still the possibility of clot if it is a small clot or an evolving clot that has not taken full form. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO SAY YES OR NO FOR THE PRESENCE OF CLOT JUST BY LOOKING AT THE CALF MUSCLE. I hope you understood. Post if you have further queries, and please be clear if you want to ask anything. All the best.