Can Cymbalta taken by father have any effect on conception? I am pregnant

I am pregnant and when we conceived our baby my husband was taking Cymbalta, he takes 60 mg/day, and he has been taking it for the last 4 years. Do you know if this medication can affect our baby?
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us

This drug as you know is an antidepressant and all antidepressants reduce the sperm count and motility if taken for a longer period.

Regarding birth defects one can not predict but there will be spontaneous abortion if there is a major birth defect in the fetus.

As you are 39yrs old and if it is your first pregnancy then there can be chances of Down's syndrome so it is better to go for the screening and genetic counseling.

Screening includes combined tests in first trimester and nuchal translucency on scan at 11 weeks as well as Quadruple marker in the second trimester along with serial ultrasounds.

Till then just relax and take folic acid or macfolate under doctor's prescription.

Best wishes

Any further query is most welcome
Follow-up: Can Cymbalta taken by father have any effect on conception? I am pregnant 5 minutes later
Dear Dr. Minoo:

This is my third pregnancy and I already had an amnio test and the results said that the baby is fine.

Thanks and regards,

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 55 minutes later

Welcome back

If this is your third pregnancy and you had your PAPP test or Amino acid test which is normal then I don't think there is going to be any problem.

Other tests for further follow ups like NT on ultrasound and markers like triple and Quadruple will make it more definite.

Best wishes