Can Boost Plus diet supplement to increase weight cause nose bleeding ?

never needed to go to clinics except for checkups, shots and dentist for cleaning.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later

Thanks for contacting us.

It is nice to know that you never had to go to any clinics.

You have not disclosed anything about the problem you are facing now. Please write your problem in detail along with the available investigation reports and I will be available to assist you further.

Anticipating your response.

Follow-up: Can Boost Plus diet supplement to increase weight cause nose bleeding ? 3 hours later
Oh I sent my question too...I don't know know what happened to it. any way here is my issue: I am underweight, so I decided to use nutrition supplements to help me put some pounds on and started using a supplement called "Boost Plus" two days ago and my nose has been bleeding since then, I even woke up last night bleeding . I was wondering if the supplement am has anything to do with this? If so any recommendation?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The intake of protein powder is usually associated with weight gain, acid reflux and heart burns, kidney problems, osteoporosis, diarrhea and appetite loss. It may cause heart burns, chest tightness, bloating and in some individuals may mimic a heart attack as well.
These protein powders are not likely to cause nose bleeds unless you are allergic to any of its components. To find out the causative association of protein powder with nose bleeding, stop taking the powder and see if the bleeding episodes decrease in number.
Meanwhile I would strongly recommend you to consult your ENT surgeon to rule out other causes of nose bleeds like dry nose, fragile mucosa, hypertension, nasal allergy, sinusitis, bleeding disorders, etc.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.