Can Avelox oral 400 MG effectevly treat Klebsiella P?

Can Avelox oral 400 MG effectevly Treat the condition Klebsiella P ?

I have been diagnosed with This and I was told that This medictaion May or May not work

Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 2 hours later
Hi, Thanks for using XXXXXXX

Avelox belongs to quinolones group of antibiotic (4th generation) and it is effective against klebsiella infection.

But if the organism that has infected you has developed resistant against this group of antibiotic due to its modification then it may not help. Since you are diagnosed with klebsiella infection, you can get tested for its culture and sensitivity to confirm its action.

This drug is mainly used in anaerobic bacterial activity. Side effect profile is also rare in 0.1-1% patients.

Hope I answered your question. Consult your doctor for further management.
Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Can Avelox oral 400 MG effectevly treat Klebsiella P? 15 hours later
So it may or may Not work, Given The Nature of the infection. Also how would I be retested to see if the infection has cleared up? Is it urine or a blood test that checks to see if the infection is gone

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 9 hours later
Yes, the drug may or may not work. We can know whether the drug worked or not by:
1. Reviewing your symptoms - improvement in symptoms after treatment suggests the drug worked.
2. If you do not feel better, then retesting samples - sputum (if the infection involved lungs) / urine (if you are dealing with microscopy and culture can be done.

Hope I have answered your query. If satisfied please close the query and rate it.
Feel free to ask further questions.