Can Amoxicillin intake for 5 days cause yellow smelly stools in 11 month old baby?

General Surgeon
my 11 month old has been on amoxicillin for 5 days yesterday started yellow runny smelly stools this morning noticed slight yellow on his hands and feet should i stop the med.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 32 minutes later

Amoxycillin is known to cause loose bowel movements, So this is probably the side effect of drug causing runny smelly stool.

Hepatitis & jaundice is very rare with amoxycillin, but long term use along with clavulanic acid is known to cause jaundice and hepatitis. Side-effects of amoxycillin include nausea, vomiting, rashes, and antibiotic-associated colitis.

Loose bowel movements (diarrhea) also occur in many patients.

Mild allergy symptoms, such as a rash, can occur at any time during treatment, even up to a week after treatment .

Use of the amoxicillin/clavulanic acid combination for more than one week has caused mild hepatitis in some patients.

So stop the medicine for the time being. There is no harm in stopping the amoxycillin.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries,

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”