Can Amoxicillin be taken for UTI treatment?
User rating for this question
I'm pretty sure I have a UTI - 2nd one in my life. I have to go frequently and it burns when I urinate. I am snowed in and will not be able to get out to doctor tomorrow. I have Amoxicillin 1gm tabs from a recent trip to Italy. Can I start taking this until I can get to the doctor?
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: I am against using antibiotic before doctor visit. Detailed Answer: Hi, Though the symptoms closely match urinary tract infection, I am against you using amoxicillin before the doctor perform tests on your urine samples. The reasons being: 1. Most common urinary tract infections are caused by viruses and gram negative microbes where amoxicillin is hardly effective. Moreover if you aren't running fever, you may not even be infected by bacteria. 2. Inappropriate use of antibiotic is the primary cause leading to future drug resistance development. Instead, you can drink plenty of fluids and add take lots of cranberries. You may also get cranberry pills over the counter which is known to be equally effective. Needless to say, stay away from sexual intercourse until you are better and maintain hygeine. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Good luck!!
People also viewed
- What are the side effects of carbidopa, levodopa and entacapone tablets?
- Stressed missed period cramps itchiness paranoid pregnant
- Have diabetes fainting episode feeling tired reason
- Child is irresponsible misbehaving dominating lies negligent
- Male uti treatment and treatments
- Is red skin lesions, often with a purple center a side effect of cialis?
- Is unusual warmth or flushing of the skin a side effect of alyacen 1/35?
- Amoxicillin for uti treatment
- Amoxicillin dosage for uti treatment
- Is difficult, burning, or painful urination a side effect of leflunomide?
- Is blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin a side effect of lasix?
- Teenager with headache and loose stools need help
- Can amoxicillin be taken for uti treatment
- Stomach pain vomiting headache body ache fever dizziness concerned
- Treatment for a uti