Can Amoxicillin be taken for UTI treatment?

I'm pretty sure I have a UTI - 2nd one in my life. I have to go frequently and it burns when I urinate. I am snowed in and will not be able to get out to doctor tomorrow. I have Amoxicillin 1gm tabs from a recent trip to Italy. Can I start taking this until I can get to the doctor?
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: I am against using antibiotic before doctor visit. Detailed Answer: Hi, Though the symptoms closely match urinary tract infection, I am against you using amoxicillin before the doctor perform tests on your urine samples. The reasons being: 1. Most common urinary tract infections are caused by viruses and gram negative microbes where amoxicillin is hardly effective. Moreover if you aren't running fever, you may not even be infected by bacteria. 2. Inappropriate use of antibiotic is the primary cause leading to future drug resistance development. Instead, you can drink plenty of fluids and add take lots of cranberries. You may also get cranberry pills over the counter which is known to be equally effective. Needless to say, stay away from sexual intercourse until you are better and maintain hygeine. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Good luck!!