Can Amoxicillin antibiotic cause itchy ankles?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
can amoxicilin antibiotic cause itchy ankles
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 30 minutes later

Amoxicillin is a penicillin, an antibiotic which is known to cause various allergic reactions in sensitised individuals.

The severity of allergic symptoms may vary from mild itching and rash to life threatening anaphylactic reaction causing breathing difficulty, hypotension etc.

If a person is allergic to penicillin he might show allergy to other related antibiotics like Cephalosporins.

If you are experiencing any rash, itching soles and feet, or generalised itching, hives, angio edema or swelling of lips, diarrhoea or abdominal cramps, nausea etc, please stop the antibiotic and consult your doctor to confirm the diagnosis and manage accordingly.

Mild allergic symptoms may subside with anti histaminics (like Cetrizine)or Hydroxyzine. But, severe reactions may require hospitalization.

If you have no other symptoms just itchy ankles, then there is no need to discontinue the antibiotic course but do mention it to your doctor for future precaution.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.