Can Amlodipine besylate cause Parkinson's disease ?

Was taking Atenolol for about 10 years then around 3 years ago started on Amlodipine Besylate about that time begain most all Parkinson type symptoms. Checking the WEB found info Parkinson Foundation that matched my conditions Vascular PD. Visited PCP asked him said can't be. Blood pressure was running all over 184/90 to116/69 pulse 120 at rest to 54,reduced Amlodipine to 0 over a week BP now more stable find getting better balance and walking better. One item that started search did not have loss of smell common to most PD's ,but have most all symptoms. Age 77 no PD gene EU family.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 2 hours later

DIP- Drug Induced Parkinsonism, can occur with calcium channel blockers.

Since Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker, rare chances of DIP are present.

DIP is the second cause of akinetic rigid syndrome in western world.

Its prevalence is increasing and approaching that of idiopathic parkinson disease.

DIP was initially reported to occur only with neuroleptics.

But now it has been described with a wide compounds like anti-emetics, anti-depressants, calcium channel blockers, antiepileptics, antiarrythmics and so on.

The best treatment is prevention of the causative medication.

You could have had DIP, since you were on a calcium channel blocker and your symptoms as said by you and age and gender wise also, since it is common in elderly men.

I suggest you to go for the alternate medicine after discussing with your treating doctor.

If you are not satisfied with a physician you can consult another person who would be comfortable.

Hope I have answered your query.