Came in contact with poison ivy. Have water filled blisters on leg. Prescribed methylprednisolone

Dermatologist
Question
Hello Dr. Grief, I came in contact with poison ivy, now I have this water filled blister the size of quarter maybe bigger on my leg. Went to the doctor's who prescribed Methylprednisolone 4mg. Told me not to burst the blister no I matter how big it gets. My concern is how well does something this size heal after it burst on it's own and do I need to worry.
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 17 minutes later
Hi ,
Thanks for writing in.
I can understand your concern.
There is nothing to worry as the blisters of this type heal well usually without any complications.Along with methylprednisolone you need oral and topical antibiotics to avoid secondary bacterial infection.Antibiotics will avoid infection allow rapid and uncomplicated recovery.
You can apply topical antibiotic like neomycin twice daily over the area.
The blisters will rupture on their own and heal .Do not rupture them to avoid infection.
Keep the area clean and dry.
There is nothing to be worried about.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
DrSudarshan
Dermatology.

Follow-up: Came in contact with poison ivy. Have water filled blisters on leg. Prescribed methylprednisolone 6 hours later
Thank you Dr Sudarshan! The blister burst overnight, I washed & dried it, left the excess skin intact and put bacitracin ointment to area as well as clean bandage. I'll call my doctor Monday to ask for antibiotic. What signs should I watch out for to be able to tell if an infection has developed? Currently there's no pain, underneath skin is pink.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 46 minutes later
Hi Again,
You can continue bacitracin ointment twice or thrice a day.
You should watch for watch for signs of infection like
-Increased erythema or redness
-Fever or raised local temperature
-Increased pain
-Yellowish discharge
-foul smell

If these are present oral antibiotic may be required .
Till then continue the ointment and keep the area clean and dry.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
DrSudarshan