Calficications were found during mammogram. Needle test result was benign. Why was asked to remove area?

May 2014

Hi Calficications were found on my friend's breast during a mammogram. As a result she had a test done were a needle was inserted..markers are used. She was told that the results were benign but it has been suggested that she have the area removed. Why? We are worried. She only spoke to a nurse and is waiting to talk to a consultant. Thanks
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. There is no reason to get worried by what the nurse has said, however it would be better to talk to a consultant. A a Radiologist I have worked in a cancer institute for 3 years and have done many mammograms. There are few reasons for suggesting that the breast tumor with calcification be removed. Your friend's sister having breast cancer might mean that breast cancer might be running in the family. Needle tests may be benign but then there is always a sampling error which should be kept in mind. I guess your doctors might suggest a tumor removal and biopsy to be certain that it is nothing XXXXXXX I would also suggest your friend to discuss any swellings anywhere else in the body if present, including armpit region which might be lymph nodes. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek