Ask a Homeopath   »  

Calf pain, warm in foot, ultrasound done. Deep venous thrombosis?

What are the chances ultrasound can miss dvt
I have been having this recurring fear that I have dvt, i have had a ultrasound and it was all clear, the pain was in my calf and once the ultrasound was clear I stopped worrying about it, I started again a few days ago with some calf pain, I think from working out and now I have started having "warmth" in my foot and thigh, I don't think it actually is warm to touch, I am just feeling the warmth. Even though I don't have any risk factors for dvt I am still so worried that I might have it. Is it possible that I could have had a clot and it went away prior to the ultrasound and is now back again?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Unani
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

I can understand your concern for the ultrasound reports. It is true that ultrasound of the calf veins for any suspected DVT can miss the diagnosis and can give false negative results. During compression the probe may slide off of the vessel wall and may also lead to false negative results.

Chnaces of an ultrasound missing a clot or a new clot forming as a result or embolism (clot forming somewhere else and moving to the calf) are also there. Hence if you are having warm sensations which can be due to parasthesia caused by peripheral vascular disease should also be ruled out.

It can also be due to parasthesia skin which is due to dysfunctioning of neurons. It can be due to diabetes, hypothyroidism, peripheral vascular disease, malnutrition.

Get your blood sugar and thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve.

Color flow venous duplex scanning of the proximal and distal veins is the current standard for routine clinical assessment of possible lower extremity DVT. You can get it done. You can also get a non invasive investigations like a CT scan/MRI scan done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.