Calf cramps while exercising, nausea and fainting after getting up. Any thoughts?

While working out, I had severe calf cramps in both legs. I suspect this was due to my workout the previous day which focused on legs. Other than the cramps, I was fine while laying on a mat, but in that position, I was unable to get put enough pressure on the muscles to work out the cramp, so I decided to try to stand up. Almost immediately upon getting up, I became nausious and according to witnesses, lost consciousness for a few seconds. My theory is the cramps caused my legs/knees to lock up, restricting the blood flow from my legs back to my heart which led to a decrease in blood pressure, finally leading to the nausia and unconsciousness. As soon as the cramps subsided, the blood flow was back to normal, and I was fine.

Any thoughts?
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 30 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
It seems you have just started exercising and have started it in aggressive way.
So your muscles are not adjusted to that much work-out and became painful.
You should go slow about it, because vigorous work out at your age is also risky.
The standing up causes a fall in blood pressure due to postural hypotension which results in transient loss of senses; this phenomenon is called Syncope.
It is common event and occurs when you get up rapidly from sitting/lying down position.
I am hopeful the the explanation would be helpful for you.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!