Calcification in basal ganglia, widening of cortical sulci, prominent ventricles. Suggest a solution

Neurologist
Question
My father aged 66 has the following problem, pls. suggest a solution
Findings:
Dense calcifications are seen in the basal ganglia, thalami, corona radiate and gray matter areas of cerebellum, bilaterally and symmetrically. Calcification are also seen in the right centrum semiovale and both occipital lobe.
There is generalized widening of cortical sulci and sylvian fissures. Lateral ventricles are prominent.
Third and fourth ventricles are normal.
There is no midline shift.
Brainstem is unremarkable.
Impression: CT Study reveals:
-     Dense calcification as described above ? Fahr’s Disease.
-     Age related change
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 15 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Regarding the dense calcification in the brain which is symmetrical suggests the possibility of Idiopathic Basal Ganglia Calcification, also known as Fahr disease or Fahr’s Syndrome.

Fahr's syndrome is a rare, genetically neurological disorder characterized by abnormal deposits of calcium in areas of the brain that control movement, including the basal ganglia and the cerebral cortex. Usual clinical symptoms are involuntary movements, parkinsonism, seizures and neuropsychiatric manifestations.

So I personally request you to provide me the clinical details of your father for clinical correlation. If possible send me the pictures of the scan for visual impression. Also let me know if any of his family members are suffering from neurological disease. With these details I will be able to suggest the possible cause of calcification and further course of action.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Calcification in basal ganglia, widening of cortical sulci, prominent ventricles. Suggest a solution 22 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX
Thanks for the response. I am trying to obtain the visual of the CT scan. Meanwhile I am also sharing the other reports. I don't have any family member suffering from Neurogical disease.

As per Wiki info "There is currently no cure for Fahr’s Syndrome, nor a standard course of treatment. The available treatment is directed symptomatic control. If parkinsonian features develop there is generally poor response to levodopa therapy. Case reports have suggested that haloperidol or lithium carbonate may help with psychotic symptoms. One case report described an improvement with the use of a bisphosphonate.
Genetic counseling may be helpful."

So please let me know what kind of solution you propose.

Thanks
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 38 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the follow up query

As you already know treatment for Fahr's disease is only symptomatic and genetic counseling. Symptomatic treatment depends on the clinical symptoms in your father. So let me know his clinical status for me to comment on the treatment. If possible provide me the copies of the CT scan on a power point presentation for visual impression.

Wishing your father good health.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist