Calcific polyps on gall bladder,fatty liver,normal enzyme level

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hello Dr.
I am a 46 year old male
I have undergone a routine executive health check up. WHile every other investigation has come out within normal range , the USG of abdomen has teh following finding "Gall Bladder demonstrates multiple tiny calcific polyps (2-3mm). No evidence of wall thickening or pericholesystic fluid.Ultrasound Murphy's sign is negative" Liver - "Liver is normal in size & shows diffuse increase in parnchymal echogenicity suggestive of mild fatty infiltration. No intra or extra hepatic bilary duct dialation. No focal leisons." My Liver function test results are normal. Enzymes are in normal levels. Im worried about the findings. May kindly advise. XXXXXXX
46years, 5 feet 6 inches height weight -69 Kg. Mild hypertensive
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Tapan Shah 1 hour later

Thanks for your question and a very important question being addressed lately.

Such accidental finding of gall stones are considered relatively asymptomatic in the latest criteria of Gall bladder diseases 2011 symposium.

When I talk bout relative asymptomatic, means whether you have any of the following disorders
1. acidity ( dyspepsia)
2. flatulence ( excessive gas formation )
3. belching
4. chronic unidentified abdomen pain ( long standing pain)

Additionally I have these questions.
5. Are you obese?
6. Are you diabetic?

Moreover the smaller the size of calculi, it has a danger of passing into further down the duct and can obstruct or can partially obstruct giving rise to billiary colics or even obstructive jaundice and more lethal pancreatitis.

I probably know your doubt whether you want to know if you should get it operated or not?
well I would advice you to under go laparoscopic cholecystectomy, this is a very simple surgery ( if done by a good gastro surgeon). Because the risk of surgery is way way less than carrying a small calculi in your gall bladder and waiting for some major event to occur.

Moreover bout your fatty liver, I guess you should get on fat free diets and can start Tablet UDILIV (300mg) once a day for 60 days and get your re evaluation of liver done. I insist for a prescription of the same.

Hope I answered your query. If you still have doubts you can reply.

Once again thanks and looking forward to communicate further.