CVA brain patient. Taking atorva, seloken xl 50 and ecosprin nicardia R20. Having swelling on head. Suggest

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
My mother is a CVA brain patient.She is on medicines like atorva, seloken xl 50 ecosprin nicardia R20.she just had hit her forehead wid a kitchen shelf.There is a swelling on small area on the forehead. Pls suggest is it ok or do we need to take any special precautions. Also can I give her ecosprin or do I need t avoid it today.she is 67.
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Hi Ms XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

The description is suggestive of a scalp hematoma (bleeding underneath the skin over skull). There is no need to worry and it would resolve on its own in a few days.

You can skip today's dose of Ecosprin and keep a watch over the swelling. If there is no further increase in size, you can restart Ecosprin by tomorrow.

Other medications can be continued as before.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any further queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: CVA brain patient. Taking atorva, seloken xl 50 and ecosprin nicardia R20. Having swelling on head. Suggest 5 minutes later
I have already given d ecosprin to her....will it cause any harm? Shall we go to the concerned doctor 2mrw morning?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

Ecosprin should not cause any harm, as the bleeding is external. However, please keep a watch over the size of swelling. If you notice any increase, you may take your mother to the doctor, otherwise, there is no need to do so.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: CVA brain patient. Taking atorva, seloken xl 50 and ecosprin nicardia R20. Having swelling on head. Suggest 2 minutes later
Thanku Sir for ur prompt response. ..it has given me a huge XXXXXXX of relief....regarding the swelling...the size has already decreased. ....so hopefully acc to u der is nothing to worry about. ...thanks once again

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
If the swelling is decreasing in size, there is no need to worry.

Thank you and good night!

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)