Ask a Urologist   »  

CT scan shows unremarkable and states thickening of bladder wall. Suffer abdominal discomfort. Worried it may be cancer?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I just had a CT come back as "unremarkable" but showed thickening of the bladder wall. Also, my CBC came back "normal." I have been on a few different anibiotics over the last month to treat diverticulitis, but my abdominal discomfort comes and goes. I'm 35 and male. I'm pretty worried that its cancer. I wouldn't ever call it pain in my lower region to my pelvis or when i urinate, but since i've been on the antibiotics for diverticulitis treatment, i have experienced some discomfort. my urine seems to be of normal color. I go back to my GI in 6 days.
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Thickening of the blader wall is common finding even in asymptomatic patients and in 99%cases it means nothing or some minor inflammation. Bladder Cancer is the last thing to think of,especially in your age when bladder cancer is rarity. Also this thickening may indicate surrounding fat stranding which is common sign of diverticulitis and its consequances.
Usually the first sign of bladder malignancy is hgb in urine so if your urine is clear there is absolutely no reason to worry.
Pelvic discomfort,diarrheas, and other bowel discomforts may be caused by antibiotics and it should pass in short time.
So I dont think there is any sign that may suggest malignancy. However, this diverticulits may be more worrying than bladder issue since second attack may indicate colon diverticulosis and I think that colonoscopy should be done 3 months after last attack. If diverticulits attacks repeat again, it may be indication for surgery which is definite treatment. but go step by step. At this point you should just change dietary changes and do frequent GI follow up.
Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards
Follow-up: CT scan shows unremarkable and states thickening of bladder wall. Suffer abdominal discomfort. Worried it may be cancer? 12 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Romic. That puts me at ease and will hold me over to my next visit to the GI. Wish you good health as well.

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 4 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
You re welcome. There is really no need to worry.such ct findings are not indicating badder mass and even if there is diverticulosis this isnt some serious disease. Regards