CT scan shows spiculated lung mass and swollen lymph nodes behind breast bone. Scheduled for PET scan. Advice

Recently (through a ct scan), I was diagnosed with having a spiculated mass on my left lung, which is about 1.7 cm in diameter. In addition, swollen lymph nodes were detected behind my breast bone. I am scheduled to have a PET scan in abut a week for further diagnosis. I also have costochondritis which began in in the May - XXXXXXX time frame of this year. My question is this - could the swollen lymph nodes be a result of the costochondritis ? I am asking only if it is a possibility, not a certainty.
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No it is unlikely to be due to costochondritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

The swollen lymph nodes behind the breast bones are the mediastinal lymph nodes which may be because of the spiculated lung mass that has been detected on CT Scan. Spiculated lung mass needs to be thoroughly investigated to rule out malignancy. Your doctor has rightly suggested you to undergo a PET Scan.

No the swollen mediastinal lymph nodes in all likely hood are not due to costochondritis.

I suggest you follow your doctor`s advice for best outcome.