CT scan showed tiny bilateral apical fibrotic bands. Should I be worried?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
Dear sir my ct scan says Tiny bilateral apical fibrotic bands is it worriable please guide
Posted Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 28 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, fibrosis is the last phage of chronic inflammation. Through fibrosis, body tries to heal the inflammation. So, bilateral apical fibrotic bands indicates presence of chronic inflammation in past. This chronic inflammation, may be due to tuberculosis or any fungal infection.

Sometimes, this type of fibrosis can also be seen in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. And your dyspnea during night also supports this. But you have to be examined clinically for presence of any signs of this disease.

Now, in this condition, you just have to do a Spirometry. If any abnormality seen, management should be done accordingly. For present condition, you can use an inhaler containing salbutamol group of drug. For prescription, you can consult with your treating doctor.

Lastly, consult with a pulmonologist in person for a thorough clinical examination, for ordering the investigations required and also for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: CT scan showed tiny bilateral apical fibrotic bands. Should I be worried? 50 minutes later
Respected sir when i get chest infection my pulmonoligist done PFT and it is very normal still i have some times that i need more breath next i consulted general physician he suggested CT scan after observing in CT scan report about Tiny bilateral apical fibrotic bands he is telling i need to take antibiotics through IVfor two to three days is it sugesstable plz guide

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 56 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

Look, the report indicates presence of chronic inflammatory conditions in past. But, just to be on safe side, you need antibiotic. But, it would be better to go for mantoux test and other ancillary tests like sputum examination to rule out any possibility of tubercular infection. If the reports are within normal limit then intravenous antibiotic can be considered.

I think, you should take the inhaler i have mentioned previously. So, consult with your treating doctor about the inhaler and the tests i have mentioned.

Hope you have our answers.

Regards.

Follow-up: CT scan showed tiny bilateral apical fibrotic bands. Should I be worried? 16 hours later
Dear sir,

Please let me know thatTiny bilateral apical fibrotic bands is incurable or long lasting disease or it is common and can be treated in very short time kindly guide

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 16 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

Look, the fibrosis in this condition may present for long time. As I told you, fibrosis is the last stage of a chronic inflammation. So, it is obvious that it will take time to resolve. Even in many cases, we found it to be present for rest of the life.

From the above discussion, it is clear that this type of fibrosis is not going to be treated in very short time. It is a long lasting disease condition.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.