CT scan showed swollen lymph node. Had unprotected sex. Chances of getting HIV?

Hi, I have had a CT Scan done and my doctor said I had slightly swollen lymoh nodes. Not many but a few and has referred me to a ENT. My neck has felt like this for about two months and I was wondering what was wrong until I had the scan. You cannot feel them so they must not be real enlarged. I had unprotected sex with a random woman about 4 months ago and had oral sex perfromed on me with a condom and had vaginal sex for a while with a condom and it broke. So for a few minutes we had unprotected sex. I am just worried I may have HIV. She told me she was clean but I do not know that for sure. I guess I am just over reacting because I have had nothing wrong but these somewhat swollen lymph nodes. They do not hurt and it feels like it is just one side of my neck. I just need some closure I guess.
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
This most likely is a reactive lymph node swelling.There are about 300 lymph nodes normally present in the head and neck region. They are normally not palpable. After enlarging during inflammation or infection they rarely regress to their normal size and then can be detected on CT scan but remain non-tender.
Since you do not have any other symptoms, HIV infection is unlikely. Still it is best to get a blood test done to rule out the infection. You can also monitor the growth of these nodes after a follow up scan after 6 months. In case there is any active growth then an FNAC is advisable.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: CT scan showed swollen lymph node. Had unprotected sex. Chances of getting HIV? 2 minutes later
What do you mean by an reactive lymph node swelling?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Reactive lymphadenopathy refers to a benign swelling of the lymph nodes in response to any minor inflammatory condition. It usually subsides on its own in 6-8 weeks without any treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.