CT scan showed small kidney, kidney stones and cysts on kidney. Any suggestion?

Critical Care Specialist
My mother is 83 and she has a creatine level of 2.9. They gave her IV fluids at the hospital and the creatine level dropped to 1.9. The CT scan of her kidneys shows one kidney is smaller, kidney stones (they haven't moved) and cysts on the kidneys. The doctor asked she stop taking her Licinopril (BP Medidcine) and come back for lab work next week. I am taking her BP 3 times a day. So far its 154 over 44. What do you think?
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ghaly 2 hours later

It is not recommended to take lisinopril if there is kidney problem. However depending on her heart rate if it is not too low she may take other BP medication like labetalol to control her BP.

Hope this helps you.

Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Follow-up: CT scan showed small kidney, kidney stones and cysts on kidney. Any suggestion? 3 hours later
I guess what I wanted to know does a 2.9 or 1.9 creatine level indicate kidney failure? If so should I be worried?

Answered by Dr. Ghaly 2 days later

I apologize for the delayed response. I was out of station.

Based on the data provided, high creatinine level is related to acute renal failure which is a reversible condition, secondary to obstruction (caused by kidney stone) plus/ minus infection - I am presuming she had no previous kidney ailments.

Whether or not this is concerning depend on presence / absence of other symptoms such as reduced to absent urine output, breathing issues, limb swelling and other hemodynamic status. As the value improved drastically with fluid therapy, she should get better and we need not be concerned.

Hope this information suffices your needs. I will be available to answer should you have other enquiries.
Please close this discussion if all your queries are answered.

To her recovery!!!!