CT scan showed prominent soft tissue density in the region of the cervix. Does this indicate cervical cancer?

May 2014

Hi, I had a ct which showed findings of prominent soft tissue density in the region of the cervix. Bleeding after pelvic exam. Does this indicate cervical cancer?
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read your query in detail. A prominent soft tissue density in the region of cervix may mean many possibilities. It can be a hypertrophy (enlargement) of cervix, which can be due to infection (cervicitis) and cervical erosions. It can also be due to any polyp in the cervix. Even fibroids in the region of cervix can appear as soft tissue density. Cancer also appears as an ill defined heterogeneous soft tissue density in the cervix and proliferating into surrounding structures (advanced disease). Complete description as mentioned in the report is to be known so that we can suspect a particular diagnosis. I would suggest you to please send me complete report details so that I can further clarify the possibilities in your case. However bleeding after pelvic exam need not necessarily indicate cancer. A pap smear is a must in your case. Hope your query is answered. Do write back with an update. Regards, Dr.Vivek