CT scan showed multifactorial degenerative changes, lateral recess and foraminal stenosis. Meaning?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I had a CT done one week ago and the Impression section reads: "Multifactoral degenerative changes primarily impact L4-5 where mild diffuse annular bulging and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum, contributing to borderline central, lateral recess and foraminal stenosis XXXXXXX What the heck does all of this mean? I looked up some of this but putting it all together does not make any sense to me. Thanks. XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hello
Thanks for posting your query

Your CT report indicates that you are suffering from degenerative disc disease. This tearing of disc between your vertebra causes it to bulge in spinal canal and also reduces space in spinal canal causing stenosis. Due to this pressure occurs over nerve roots and is the cause of back pain radiating to lower limbs.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon.

Follow-up: CT scan showed multifactorial degenerative changes, lateral recess and foraminal stenosis. Meaning? 17 hours later
When I walk too much I have a lot of pain in my right leg, why? My foot and ankle also swells up. I have an appointment with my neurologist on the 11th of this month. What do you think is going to be the best course of treatment for me? My neurologist is the one who did the EMG on me and found out that I have a delayed response in some of the nerves in my right leg and I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis with neurogenic claudication and a lesion on the lateral popliteal nerve. Thanks so much.
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to us again

Pain in your right leg after walking is due to neurogenic claudication.In this the pain may feel like muscle cramps. It is brought on during walking and/or extending the spine backwards (arching your back), and it is relieved by stooping, sitting, and/or bending forward at the waist.

Best course of treatment for you to start from conservative treatment.Your doctor may prescribe pain medications and/or physical therapy.Your physical therapist will advice you exercises that emphasize flexing your spine forward.

Other conservative treatments for lumbar spinal stenosis include modifying your activity, wearing a back brace or belt and/or having a spinal epidural injection to calm the pain.

If continued pain from neurogenic claudication greatly interferes with your lifestyle, it may be a sign that you need back surgery. Usually, a laminectomy (also known as decompression surgery) is the procedure given for spinal stenosis.

Please accept my answer if you have no further query.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: CT scan showed multifactorial degenerative changes, lateral recess and foraminal stenosis. Meaning? 37 hours later
The lower part of my back just above my hips has been hurting really bad today and when I touch it it seems like it is swollen and it is tender. Could it be getting worse? My right foot and ankle has been swollen all day also.

Thanks for all the help you have given me,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 15 hours later

It seems to getting worse as your pain, swelling and tenderness increases.
I suggest you to take rest. During walking take some support and slightly bend forwards. Take frequent breaks during your walking and keep your limb elevated during rest. Give hot fomatation over your right foot, ankle and your back. Apply muscle relaxant gel over it. Take some antiinflamatory drug like ibuprofen to reduce the pain and inflammation.
Consult your neurologist on the date of appointment for further course of action.

Hope this Will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Good luck! I hope the things go well.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon