CT scan showed mild splenomegaly. What treatment should be done?

In a CT Scan I had the report indicated mild splenomegaly, what is this condition and what are the treatment options if any?
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 31 minutes later

Thanks for asking.

Splenomegaly is an enlargement of the spleen. The spleen usually lies in the left upper quadrant (LUQ) of the human abdomen.

The most common causes of splenomegaly in developed countries are infectious mononucleosis, splenic infiltration with cancer cells from a hematological malignancy and portal hypertension (most commonly secondary to liver disease, and Sarcoidosis.

Splenomegaly causes can be divided into three main types:

1. Increased function because of the removal of defective Red blood cells as seen in

nutritional anemias
early sickle cell anemia

2. Increased blood flow as seen in cirrhosis with portal hypertension (because of liver problems)

3. Metabolic and malignant disorders

Thus, Splenomegaly alone will not point to any particular diagnosis, it is in combination with other symptoms, which will point towards the proper diagnosis.

Please consult your doctor, you probably need some investigations to figure it out, what exactly is the cause in your case.

Thanks, I am available for the follow-ups.

Follow-up: CT scan showed mild splenomegaly. What treatment should be done? 13 minutes later
What are the available treatments?
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 58 minutes later

Treatment of Splenomegaly / whether the Splenomegaly needs any treatment, depends on the cause of it.

Like if, the cause is destruction of red blood cells or hemolytic anemia it needs to be treated before the Splenomegaly improves.

I will advise you to consult your doctor to do some basic investigations to find the actual cause of this.