CT scan showed haze on upper lungs. Any suggestions?

Question
upper lungs have a haze. cat-scan taken last week.
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 3 hours later

On CT scans, a haze is caused by partial filling of air spaces, interstitial thickening (due to fluid, cells, and/or fibrosis), partial collapse of alveoli, increased capillary blood volume, or a combination of these, the common factor being the partial displacement of air.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: CT scan showed haze on upper lungs. Any suggestions? 1 hour later
Dr. Thank you for giving me an answer. I just can't seem to get these doctors here where I live even a thought. What is causing this? & can I do anything to improve my health. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 33 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

The CAT-scan was other way normal? So only upper lung haze? Do you present other symptoms? Shortness of breath, cough, thoracic pain?

I am asking you because we need to find out which is the cause of the partial displacement of air, is it due to fluid, cell and/or fibrosis?

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: CT scan showed haze on upper lungs. Any suggestions? 30 hours later
If working hard as I do, like lifting heavy items, I suddenly get winded, have to sit down & keep breathing hard until heart stops racing & breathing becomes easier.
I've been suffering with ostero-arthritis, especially my hands, fingers get stuck & stiff with pain. I do have this dry cough from time to time. Especially during the night, I wake up coughing. I am a unfortunately, smoker, but I went for the cat scan because I felt this was a different kind of cough. thanks again so much!!!

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 28 hours later

I apologize for the delayed response.

The additional details provided are useful and I thank you for that.

However the symptoms you report cannot explain the upper lung haziness noted on CAT scan. We also do not find such haziness in association with osteoarthrits.

Perhaps careful physical and respiratory examination by a competent pulmonologist can be able to pick up clues to associate the haziness and organic medical condition.

I apologize for not being of much help, however without an opportunity to examine your lungs I will not be able to comment much. Let me know if you have other enquiries.

Best Wishes