CT scan showed broken tail bone. Having numbness in vagina and anus area. How long will it take to get cured?

Question
I fell from a horse on Wednesday, spent the day in hospital. I fell on my lower back, tail bone area, xrays and CT scan have cleared me of broken bones although I overheard the radiographer say she couldnt see the sacro? properly because of the metal in the bed. My question is that I am still numb across my backside and in my vagina, perinium and anus areas. Is this to be expected and how long should it last before I worry and ask more questions? I was discharged from hospital on the Wednesday.
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 5 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

The best treatment for lower back pain or injury is complete bed rest. Now about your queries the numbness in the parts is due to soft tissue inflammation or a slight injury to the nerve.

Usually the acute phase last for about 1-5 days, then pain and associated symptoms reduces and healing starts.

If the symptoms are not reducing after 5 days, pain & numbness increases to thighs and you are not able to get the feeling of urine and stool then it is a matter of concern and immediately consult your doctor for that.

Follow some instructions that help in proper healing and recovery:

1. Use hard bed to sleep.
2. Avoid jerky movements of spine.
4. You can take anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxants drugs orally or apply gels locally. But do not massage it hard.
5. Wear LS (Lumbosacral) belt to support your spine while changing posture. Get a support of another person while changing posture.

Hope you got your all answer. If you have any further query then please write a follow up query.

Wish you a good health.