CT scan showed area of hypodensity to the midline of the uterus. What does this mean?

Question
Hi - I had a CT scan where I got the result "To the left of the midline of the uterus, there is an area of hypodensity. This has the appearance of a left ovary. This is not enlarged.

Can you tell me what this means?? and whether more scans would be ordered?
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 51 minutes later
Hello

Welcome and thanks for the query

Fibroids or leiomyomas of uterus can be hypodense , isodense or hyperdense relative to normal contrast enhanced myometrium on CT scan.As you have not mentioned your menstrual history or obstetric history or the cause of CT scan done , so it is very difficult to co-relate the findings and to reach a diagnosis.

Other causes of hypodensity can be due to hydrometra or degeneration in fibroid , the possibilities of these two are very less.It is better to get 3D multiplanner scan done to see the saggital and coronal sections.
If you can attach the reports it would be better for me to diagnose it properly.

There is nothing to worry about so just relax
Best wishes and take care