CT scan report showed left inguinal hernia which contains fluid. Should I be concerned?

Just received CT scan report which indicates 1) Left inguinal hernia, which contains fluid, 2) Free pelvic fluid. Report also adds that the" free pelvic fluid is an abnormal finding in a post menopausal female. Please conrrelate clinically". I am 59 years old, and 3 weeks ago had a normal Pap smear. CT scan done to determine the hernia, but the pelvic fluid is something I was not aware of, nor have other symtoms. Shoud I be concerned?
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 12 minutes later
Free fluid in the pelvis is abnormal in the post meopausal age group. Its normally seen in menstruating females. There are many many scenarios why this can happen.
Bowel obstruction,neoplasia,infection,trauma,LIVER problems,retroperitonal bleeding etc are some of the causes. You have a normal PAP smear so cervial neoplasia isnt the cause. From the gynecological point of view, ovarian neoplasia needs to be ruled out. But there was anything it would have shown up on your MRI. My guess is,the cause behind this the hernia. You may have intestines entangled in the canal,causing some fluid to seep thorough. The differentiation will depend on the history and examination your provide.
Follow-up: CT scan report showed left inguinal hernia which contains fluid. Should I be concerned? 16 minutes later
You indicated I had an MRI done...I only had a CT scan performed...Would an MRI be a better test? Would any ovarian neoplasia have shown up in the CT?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 43 minutes later
Pardon me,i mis-read. Yes, MRI is better than CT scan of course,but if there were any significant ovarian growth,it would show up on the CT as well. As said, your history and examination would be a better indicator towards the cause. From your symptoms and examination findings,some of the causes can be ruled out. Some blood tests like CA125 will help to know if any ovarian cause exists. But since the CT hasnt mentioned any ovarian growth, that need not be considered yet. I suggest that the other causes like bowel obstruction, infection, bleeding,liver cirrhosis etc be ruled out first.