CT scan of throat showed bilateral palatine and lingual tonsillar prominence with nodular soft tissue. Meaning?

ENT Specialist
Hi, are you able to tell me what this means? This is the "impression" of a CT scan of the throat result. Bilateral palatine and lingual tonsillar prominence with nodular soft tissue and secretions extending into the vallecula region. No definite suspicious lymphadenopathy.
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 14 minutes later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon. The CT findings are suggestive of the enlarged palatine tonsils (lymphoid tissue in oropharynx) and ligual tonsils (lymphoid tissue at the back of the tongue). It may be because of the recurrent infections of the throat or chronic tonsillitis or because of the long standing problem of sinusitis.
As there is no significant lymphadenopathy it appears it is not something serious. Bilateral enlargement suggests that this is not a serious condition / not a neoplastic or a cancerous growth.
However I would suggest you for a ENT Examination and a pharyngoscopy for the confirmation of diagnosis. If the findings on pharyngoscopy shows any raw area or irregular area it will require a biopsy for the histopathological diagnosis.

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it.

with regards
Ravinder Sharma