CT scan of abdomen showed one large intestinal hernia, second due to fat and third due to fluid. What does this mean?

had a ct scan of abdomen- two radiologists read it - one says large intestinal hernia- maybe a second of third, but can't see because of fat- The other reads it and says- too much fluid- see large one and a second hernia- can't see if there is a third because of fluid.

Is there anything to differentiate between fluid and fat in a scan?? Very frustrated- with response
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Thank you so much for the query. I am Dr. Ditah and feel honored providing answers to your health questions today. I am so sorry to hear about your past battle with liver transplant, hypertension, diabetes and what you are experiencing now.

I understand how frustrating it is when the exam you have been hoping to make the final calls turns out inconclusive.

The honest truth is fats and water look very similar on CT scans. This is because there is very little difference in their densities on the hounsfield scale(comparison scale). This makes their appearance on CT scans very similar which makes the distinction very difficult. Most of the times, the knowledge of whether it is predominantly fats or water at a particular site is what guides us to call it fats or water. In your case, it is more complicated because maybe there is fluid accumulation that makes this call difficult and confusing to make.

With this current health situation, operating on you is a great risk to take and the prognosis will not be very promising. I think you need to do as your surgeon recommends hoping that your health condition greatly ameliorates to tolerate such a huge surgery. I will not encourage you to go in for any surgery now, the risks are too much to bear unless it is a life saving procedure.

Hope this answers your query fully and provides some guidance on how to move on. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask us.
I wish you success with this and hope you get to feel a lot better soon.
Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: CT scan of abdomen showed one large intestinal hernia, second due to fat and third due to fluid. What does this mean? 3 days later
Thank you for the clarification- This answers my questions. Very grateful
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Thank you so much for letting me know I was able to answer your query fully.

At this time, I will suggest that you close the discussion and rate the quality of response you got from me. Please, may I suggest that you take a minute of your time to write a short review.

I wish you the very best of health.
Dr. Ditah, MD.