CT scan indicates mild mastoid thickening. What does it mean?

my ct scan indicates mild mastoid thickening
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mild mastoiditis; mostly due to ear infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

Mastoid inflammation is called mastoiditis and in most cases is a mild infection or inflammation of a part of the skill called the mastoid bone. The mastoid helps in draining the middle ear, and mastoiditis is most commonly due to an infection in this part of the ear (middle ear).

For confirming the same and relating this to a possible ear infection, I need you to let me know if you had any of the following symptoms:
-Swelling of ear lobe
-Recent ear infection
-Mild to moderate hearing loss
-Pain and/or swelling behind ear
-Wax or other drainage from the affected ear
if so, please do write back to me with the symptoms you have had, and also why you were advised a CT scan?

Treatment depends on the extent of the disease, in most cases antibiotics are given orally (when mild); when moderate disease is present then hospitalization is required and intra-venous antibiotics are given; and in more severe cases a minor surgery is required to manually drain the middle ear.

I hope you found my response both helpful and informative ma'am. Please schedule an appointment with an ENT (ear, nose and throat specialist/otolaryngologist) and discuss your treatment options. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a healthy life thereafter.

Best wishes.