CT scan and ultra sound showed moderate hepatomegaly. Has lesions and complex ovarian cyst. Both related?

My daughter had a CT scan and ultra sound, and it was reported that she had moderate hepatomegaly. Can you tell me what this is please. two years ago she had peritonitis and a burst appendix. She now has many lesions and a complex ovarian cyst, is this related to the hepatomegaly?
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for query,

A moderate hepatomegaly might really have nothing to do with the past history of the surgery. However, it could a relationship with the ovarian cysts, if the report also showed cysts in the ovaries. Since it’s not the case, it is very less likely that the ovarian and liver enlargement (hepatomegaly) should be related.

However a few considerations have to be made before interpreting the results or making a possible prognosis or outcome when someone presents with, especially moderate hepatomegaly. First, if the results come from an ultrasound, it’s worth noting that ultrasonography is an operator dependent procedure. At times it might require that the procedure be carried out by another ultrasonographer or the same person some time later. Carrying tests to determine liver function tests like liver transaminases could give a direct indication of liver disease if they are raised. This could prompt other questions like investigating for viral hepatitis and alcohol abuse in some cases.

I would suggest it’s really too early to worry of liver disease now without doing formal tests to test for liver function. Ultrasound is an operator dependent examination and based on results of the liver function tests, might be repeated. Lack of cysts also in the liver make the relationship between ovarian and liver disease very unlikely.

Consulting her gynecologist or internist, with liver function tests carried out and a repeat ultrasound scan is my suggestion.

Best regards as I wish her the best of health,
Dr Luchuo, MD.