CT scan and MRI showed arthritase in neck and bulging discs in lower lumbar area. Having shoulder and neck pain. Remedy?

Nov 2013

Good morning doc i was in a roll over car accident 6 weeks ago after 3 weeks there was no improvement my neck was badly injured and my lower back witch i allready had problems with is even worse i had xrays of chest c scan of neck and mri of lower back cscan shows arthritase in neck mri showes 2 bulding discs in lowere lombar area i am currently taken 5 mgs of roxicodone and 7.5 mgs of percaset voltaren as a anti inflamatory and skelaxon for a muscle relaxor i started physical theropy last week doc is hoping that will help back an neck pain she thinks pain in neck is all muscular and says theropy will help that i really think we should do a mri of neck to find out the underlining isue for sure i think guessing on experience is not a good idea and am affraid we could do more damage if there is something wrong with my neck as far as my lower nack goes it is swolen and physical theropy will not touch it yet i have some trouble urinating and sometimes feel sharp pain down there shooting into the top of my buttox but not going down the leg my neck i also feel shooting pain going down my left shoulder blade and have alot of tention in my neck and shoulder muscles causing headaches as well ur thoughts please!!!
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 days later

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand the discomfort you are going through on account of pain, restricted mobility and urination symptoms.

I agree with you that you require MRI of cervical spine (neck) region, to find out the exact problem. MRI can show the exact amount of compression on the nerves and spinal cord.

In addition to the treatment you are receiving, medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin could also be useful in reducing the neuropathic pain.

In some cases, epidural injections are also required.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: CT scan and MRI showed arthritase in neck and bulging discs in lower lumbar area. Having shoulder and neck pain. Remedy? 18 hours later
I have an app with the doctor tommorow and im not really sure what ? I should be asking do you have any suggestions im new to all of this and am affraid im not asking the write questions?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

Some of the questions you may ask would be:

What is the diagnosis?

What is the cause of your pain and other symptoms?

What are the options for treatment?

Is it only medications, or physiotherapy or epidural injections, or a combination of them all?

Is there a need to do MRI of cervical spine?

Is there a chance of disease progression or any further complications?

You should also discuss any side effects or risks of treatments suggested?

Would any surgery be required now or at a later stage?

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)