CT Scan showed mild emphysematous change to lungs, had quit smoking. What is the likely prognosis?

Cardiac Surgeon
I have recently had a CT Scan which said I have mild emphysematous changes to the lungs. I am 66 years old and quit smoking 20 years ago. What is the likely prognosis. I have yet to see the lung specialist.
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Nisarga 58 minutes later
It is good that you have quit smoking long ago. Now that, whatever damage has occurred previously because of smoking will stay for life long. I assure you this emphysematous change will not progress further. It will halt at that stage only because of the absence of the triggering factor(smoking).
Since it is in milder form, prognosis is good. Non ischemic dilated cardiomyopathy is not connected to emphysema.
I wish you good health.