CMV positive, urine test negative, pregnant. Virus inactive?

i tested positive for cmv , i have just had some results back but my doctor cant speak to me untill monday ,im 20 weeks pregnant and am eager to know if its a old infection or have contracted it while pregnant , my urine test came up negative , does this mean its an inactive virus
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 1 hour later
Hi ,

Old or newly contracted CMV (Cytomegalovirus) infection can be differentiated only by lab studies.
The serological test will be done in which IgM and IgG antibodies titres are checked against the CMV. If IgM titres are present and more it indicates the recent infection during the pregnancy and if only IgG titres are present and in low quantity it indicates a remote infection.

Urine samples are not specific while a blood samples can confirm the old or new infection and thereby its active or inactive state.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.