CECT thorax report, no nodules seen, a focal calcified mass. History of TB, diabetic. Does report suggest harm?

Question
Yesterday we got the CECT THORAX report of my father. Below are the extract of the report.

No Nodules are seen in right upper lobe
A focal calcified mass is seen in left lower lobe
Rest of both lung parenchyma appear normal
There is no mediastinal / hilar lymphadenopathy
Great vessels of mediastimum appear normal
cardiac size is within normal limit
No evidence of pleural effussion.
Bony thoracic cage is intact
Visulased part of Liver and Spleen normal

IMPRESSION:
1. fOCAL CALCIFIED MASSIN LEFT LOWER LOBE
2. NODULES (2) IN RIGHT UPPER LOBE

Please corelater clinically.

My father has history of TB around 15 Yrs Back ( for Which he has taken proper medicines that time). He is diabatic but not depends on insulin. He has sligh BP problem. His age is 76 Yrs. He has compalin of waightloss, loss of appetite and dryness in chest when he walks long or walks on stair. He has also complain of pain in knee Joints from last one and half year.

Can anybody help me find out what the CECT report Says and what we should do.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 hours later
The clinically significant finding in this CECT are the two nodules found in the right upper lobe. The small area of calcification could be due to the old healed lesion of tuberculosis.
The two nodules in the upper right chest with a history of rapid weight loss definitely need to investigated as these nodules can be benign granulomas or might be indicative of metastasis.
An FNAC of the nodules is required under the guidance of a pulmonologist for proper diagnosis. FNAC is aspiration of the material of the nodules which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) introduced through a bronchoscope.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.

Follow-up: CECT thorax report, no nodules seen, a focal calcified mass. History of TB, diabetic. Does report suggest harm? 6 hours later
Thanks Mam,
As replied by you, the significant finding in the CECT are the two nodules found in the right upper lobe which can be benign granulomas or might be indicative of metastasis.

->What is the possibility of it being indicative of metastasis and if it is so; what are the ways to treat it.

->If it is benign granulomas, then what are the ways to treat it.

Thanks

Pratap XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

To know the nature of nodule, the only way is biopsy. If it is a metastasis, then we need to do further investigations depending on the type of cells found in the nodule to look for the primary tumor.

The treatment depends on the primary tumor and extent of its spread.

If it is a benign Granuloma, then no treatment is needed as these nodules are likely to remain as they are over years and will not produce any symptoms.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing your father a trouble free speedy recovery.

Regards.

Follow-up: CECT thorax report, no nodules seen, a focal calcified mass. History of TB, diabetic. Does report suggest harm? 61 days later
Dear Doctor,

Please find the Uploaded Investigation Reports and suggest.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Thanks for following up.

I have seen the discharge summary and CECT report attached with this query.

Your father has suffered a left ventricular failure with unstable angina. He has now been adequately treated, but he will have to religiously take all his medications and regularly go for follow up visits to his cardiologist to avoid future complications.

The heart problem that he has suffered now is not related to the lung nodules detected on CECT earlier.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please accept this answer if you do not have any further queries.