CBC test results show RBC Count 5.45 mil/ul, Hemoglobin 17.2 g/dL and Hematocrit 50.5 %. What does this indicate?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi Doctor, Below are the test results of my CBC.

RBC Count 5.45 mil/ul
Hemoglobin 17.2 g/dL
Hematocrit 50.5 %
MCV 92.7 fL
MCH 31.5 pg
MCHC 34.0 g/dL
RED Cell Distribution width 12.2%
Platelet 263 thou/uL
MPV 8.4 f/L
WBC Count - 12.5 thou/uL

WBC differential Count
Neutrophils 76%
Eosinophils 03%
Lymphocyte 14%
MonoCytes 06 %
Basophils 01%

PERIPHERAL SMEAR EXAM, EDTA WHOLE BLOOD

RBC RBCs ARE NORMOCYTIC NORMOCHROMIC
WBC INCREASED IN NUMBER WITH NORMAL MORPHOLOGY AND
DISTRIBUTION.
PLATELETS NORMAL IN NUMBER AND MORPHOLOGY.
NO HAEMOPARASITES SEEN.
IMPRESSION NORMOCYTIC NORMOCHROMIC BLOOD PICTURE WITH LEUCOCYTOSIS.
ERYTHRO SEDIMENTATION RATE, BLOOD
SEDIMENTATION RATE (ESR) 02 0 - 15 mm at 1 hr

I am worried, why WBC , Hemoglobin , Hematocrit high and my lymphocyte is low ( 14% ).. Please analyis my CBC result and suggest me for next course of action / medication,if any required.
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No course of action required

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
A CBC report is not evaluated by looking at individual element. Its a complete profile which is commented on. Your profile more or less is normal and doesn't suggest and illness and hence requires no course of action.
Regarding your increased WBC count, there are many reasons for the transient increase. But as the individual counts have not increased and PS doesnt suggest any toxic granules, there is no need to worry.
Many times there is a machine error as well. Do get it repeated from a good lab like Lal, thyrocare or SRL.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: CBC test results show RBC Count 5.45 mil/ul, Hemoglobin 17.2 g/dL and Hematocrit 50.5 %. What does this indicate? 55 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Unable to get the meaning for the below sentence

" Regarding your increased WBC count, there are many reasons for the transient increase. But as the individual counts have not increased and PS doesn't suggest any toxic granules."

Can you make me understand on this regards? What is the meaning for PS and toxic granules ..

Also hope you noticed that my lymphocyte count is also low of 14% , which should be more than 20% between 40% .. is there any reason for low count ? does this count come back in a course of time ?? or do i need to follow any food habit or exercise to maintain in normal count ? Please advice..

thanks & regards

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Clarifications

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Sorry for using such technical language.
I meant to say that your WBC count has increased but the individual componenets such as neutrophils lymphocytes monocytes have not increased . Hence there is no need to worry as in intection other counts chage too. More over when looking at this cells closely under microwlscope in case of infection there are granular picture on neutrophils known as toxic granules which are reported on peripheral smear.
Your lymphocyte count is low and i would suggest that you repeat this test after 1month andmost certainly you will have it normal. It will improve with time.
No need for treatment or any diet regime.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Follow-up: CBC test results show RBC Count 5.45 mil/ul, Hemoglobin 17.2 g/dL and Hematocrit 50.5 %. What does this indicate? 11 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thankyou so much for your patients and prompt reply . As final clarification, can you see the below comments and let me know anything abnormal or i need focus on..

PERIPHERAL SMEAR EXAM, EDTA WHOLE BLOOD

RBC - RBCs ARE NORMOCYTIC NORMOCHROMIC

WBC - INCREASED IN NUMBER WITH NORMAL MORPHOLOGY AND
DISTRIBUTION.

PLATELETS - NORMAL IN NUMBER AND MORPHOLOGY.

NO HAEMOPARASITES SEEN.

ERYTHRO SEDIMENTATION RATE, BLOOD

SEDIMENTATION RATE (ESR) 02 0 - 15 mm at 1 hr.

Last one month, I have kind of inflammation / pain in both upper hip and some time in stomach. Hope this is not a symptom of Cancer / Anemia or HIV related .

Please clarify.

thanks & regards

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
The reports were already mentioned

Detailed Answer:
IN the earlier question you had uploaded a PDF file mentioning these reports and I had gone through them.
They are all normal, nothing to worry about.
Regarding you pain in hip and lower abdomen, they are not the signs of anemia or HIV. Basically instead of CBC, you should have gone ahead with USG abdomen. That would have helped you more.
Regarding cancer, some cancers can cause abdominal pain, but then one will not suspect cancer only with abdominal pain as there are lot many trivial causes for the same.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy