CBC test done, Red cell distribution marked out of range. Let me know the significance of this parameter.

Recently I underwent CBC test and the following parameter was marked as out of range:
Red Cell Distribution Width showing a value of 14.4 (range being 11.6- 14.0)
Pls let me know the signficance of this parameter. All other CBC parameters e.g.platelet count, WBC count, WBC differential count, hemoglobin count etc are within range.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Radhika 32 minutes later

You have provided me with good information.
You have increased Red cell Distribution Width showing a value of 14.4.

This can be caused by the beginning stages of a deficiency in vitamin B12 or folic acid (a type of vitamin) in the body. It can also be caused by the beginning stages of take Tablets like Nurokind once daily for 3 months.

Increase your intake of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. If you are a non vegetarian, you can take Clams, Oysters, Mussels, Fish, Crab, Lobster, Lamb, Eggs and cheese.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.