CBC report shows aniocytosis moderate poikilocytosis. Iron reference range 21. Cure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I had a CBC report with alert stating that marked aniocytosis moderate poikilocytosis.Predominantly microcytic hypochromic cells with microcytes and leukocytes. My Iron reference range is 21. Please let me know,whether it id curable

is not leukocytes. typo error ovalocytes
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Your blood reports are suggestive of iron deficiency anemia. It is fully treatable with iron supplements. In addition, we need to find out the reason for iron deficiency. Either it could be lack of iron in diet, or due to blood loss (bleeding in stool, urine, etc).

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: CBC report shows aniocytosis moderate poikilocytosis. Iron reference range 21. Cure? 39 minutes later
I have never found blood in urine & stool, but every month I have heavy menstrual periods lasting upto 5-6 days..Pls let me know to whom should I consult for treatment on this iron deficiency....A hematologist or a Gyanocologist and let me know if any more test to be performed Let me know if I can attach all my reports

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more information.

It is clear now, that the cause of your iron deficiency anemia is heavy menstrual bleeding. You should consult a gynaecologist, who would be able to treat this condition. In addition, she would also prescribe the iron supplements. You would get fully cured in 2-3 months time.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: CBC report shows aniocytosis moderate poikilocytosis. Iron reference range 21. Cure? 13 hours later

I have attached my recent reports .Please check and advice

Thanks....

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 38 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more reports.
I have gone through Ms Lavanya's reports. They are suggestive of TSH is high, suggestive of hypothyroidism.

For anemia, she would benefit from iron supplements. In India, common brands for the same are LIVOGEN, FEFOL, etc. She can take them once daily for three months. In addition, a gynecology check up would be useful, as mentioned earlier.

For thyroid problem, she should consult an Endocrinologist, who may prescribe thyroid supplements, such as thyronorm or Eltroxin.

Best wishes,
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/